
Sorry for those of you who have to hear this again (feel free to skip this post!). I wanted to write it down for journal purposes. A few weeks ago (April 24
th) Tennyson had a severe allergic reaction to the
amoxicilan he had been taking for a
sinus infection. He woke up with a few hives on his body, but I didn't think too much about them. A couple hours later he was covered head to toe in hives. At this point we realized he was having an allergic reaction, however, we figured the farther away he got from his last dose of medicine, that he'd begin to feel better. Not the case! By evening, Tennyson's hands and feet were swollen and it hurt to walk. Still, we weren't too
concerend (I know...I know...we are the worst parents ever! I didn't want to be one of those parents who overreacts about every little thing). Finally, when Tennyson came out to the living room about 10:30 at night having difficulty talking because of a swollen tongue, we FINALLY realized we needed to get him to the emergency room! We were instantly seen by a doctor despite the e.r. being extremely crowded. Tennyson was given
epinepheran and steroids to take the swelling down and was released a couple hours later. To make a long story short, two days later he went to his pediatrician for a check-up. Dr. Roberts took one look at Tennyson and sent us straight to the e.r. This time I was worried. I knew it had to be pretty serious for her to send me straight to the e.r. It turns out that Tennyson's allergic reaction progressed to something called serum sickness. From what I understood from the doctor, it is when your body basically has a reaction to your body's allergic reaction. It is characterized by painful and swollen joints and if left untreated, can be fatal. Obviously Mr. Tennyson was okay, he just had to spend the night in the hospital. He actually enjoyed his hospital stay. He thought it was funny that he got to eat his food in his bed and he loved the ride on the gurney from the e.r. up to his room on the pediatric floor. He was such a ham and all the nurses thought he was just the cutest thing! No more
penicillan for this kid!!! A big thanks to all our friends who stopped by the day Tennyson came home. He loved the pictures your kiddos made for him. That was very thoughtful of you and your family to think of him!
2 comments:
Oh my goodness Sierra! How scary! Glad to hear that he is doing good now.
He's been so brave through everything. So glad he's doing well now.
Post a Comment