| Asher, Eden and their friend, Daphne, riding on the subway. The subway was quite possibly the highlight of their day! |
This past Tuesday was a nearly perfect day! The only thing that would have made it better is if Tennyson and Conan could have joined us. Tenn had school and Conan had to work. I took Asher and Eden to the Boston Common/Public Garden (America's oldest public park...has a similar look and feel as Central Park in New York, only better! Perhaps I am biased!) for the city's traditional reading of Make Way for Ducklings. Make Way for Ducklings is an adorable children's book that takes place on/around Boston Common. Traditionally, after Boston Park Rangers read the book, city officials release two swans each year into the water where the famous swan boats are. I think this is one of Boston's best traditions. It is just charming.
The morning began with Boston Park Rangers reading Make Way for Ducklings to all the children and their families who had gathered around.
After the reading, Eden and Asher enoyed listening to a small band perform.
While waiting for the swans to arrive, Eden and Asher had fun sitting on 'The Make Way for Ducklings' monument.
City officials arrived with this year's swans. The band led the parade of the swans down to the water where they were released.
Romeo and Juliet (the names of this year's swans)...free at last! haha
As much as I enjoyed this Boston tradition, all the hoop-la seemed a bit over the top! The professional photographer standing in the water waiting to get a perfect shot was pretty funny and the red velvet ropes were a bit much! That said, it was a perfect day with great friends and PERFECT weather.
After the releasing of the swans, the city provided lemonade and swan shaped sugar cookies for the children to enjoy. We enjoyed a picnic lunch before taking a ride on one of the famous swan boats. Our boat 'peddeler' (not sure what to call him) told us that the boats range in age from 20 to 112 years of age. Our boat was a newer version of the original.
The boat pictured on the right is the oldest swan boat...it is one of the originals and is 112 years old.
Just as we were heading to the subway, Asher stumbled upon a man making animal and flower shaped balloons. He and Edie both ended up with dog and flower balloons. Eden especially loved her balloons.
1 comment:
That does sound like a perfect day and something I would've loved to do with you. Ahh, makes me a little sad. Remember when we went to the shore together that one day when I was humungo prego with Mila? I just saw pictures of that the other day...
What a fun tradition and I'm glad you got to be there for it but I agree... the red velvet is a bit much.
Post a Comment