Sunday, October 13, 2013

Our Weekend Away...WITHOUT Kids!!!

For the first time since Tennyson joined our family nearly 8 years ago, Conan and I had a weekend away without our little ones!  I know...it's a shocker! He's had trips away without the kids and I have had a couple weekends away without the little ones too, but until last weekend, we have never had a weekend away together without the children!  It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
My friend April and her husband watched our kiddos while we were away.  Their three children are the same ages as Tenn, Ash and Eden and the six of them play together often.  April and I decided to do a swap, so I will get to watch her little ones for her too when she and her husband go on their weekend getaway.
In honor of our 10 year wedding anniversary, I decided to surprise Conan with a weekend away.  He knew we were going away, but he had no idea where we were headed or what I had planned for the weekend.  After we dropped the kiddos off at April's house, I told him we were headed to Stowe, Vermont (about 3.5 hours north of Boston).  We arrived about noon.  The first thing we did was go on a long bike ride along 'Recreation Path'...a gorgeous path that winds through the Vermont countryside. The fall colors were beautiful.  I will really miss the fall foliage when we leave the East Coast:( 
 

We came upon this neat covered bridge while on our bike ride.
After our bike ride, we ate lunch at Pie-Casso's and then were off to get one-hour body massages! Hold your breath my friends, you are in for another shocker...I had never had a full body massage before.  How is it possible that I have gone 35 years without ever having one? It too, was AMAZING! That was the fastest hour of my life.  We both felt so relaxed afterwards.  

We ate dinner at the famous Von Trapp Family Lodge.  Here we are waiting in the lobby for our table to become available.  Despite the fact we had to wait for about 30 minutes, we both commented how nice it was to just sit there in peace without three kids climbing all over us. 

A cattle pasture in front of the Von Trapp Family Lodge.  I am pretty sure the rib-eye-steak I ate for dinner came from here:)

The Von Trapp Family Lodge.

 
The next morning we hiked 'The Pinnacle', a beautiful 6 mile roundtrip hike to the top of a mountain that overlooks Stowe valley.  The foliage was breathtaking.

We drove past this covered bridge on the way to our hike.


These leaves have yet to change color.  Even so, I couldn't get over their vibrant green colors.


 
The view from 'the Pinnacle.'  These pictures really don't capture the brightness of the fall colors.  It was one of the prettiest views I have ever seen.  Bright green pastures and little red barns dotted the valley floor, and white church steeples poked out from the treetops.   


Darling little white churches such as this one were on nearly every street. 

 
Tennyson, Asher and Eden did really well while we were gone.  This was a big weekend for them too.  They had never spent the night at anyone's house before other than that of family, and even then, it just so happens that we have always been there as well.  Tenn and Ash slept in their own sleeping bags on the floor in their friends' room.  Eden slept nestled in between her big brothers:) We were greeted with the biggest hugs and smiles when we picked them up.  One of the first things Eden said was, "Mommy, miss you."  That melted my heart.  As much as Conan and I needed a weekend away, we still missed our munchkins and I thought about them often.  One week later, I am still feeling rejuvenated.  I have been the best mom this week...haven't lost my temper once! haha  Hmmm...maybe I should go away more often??!! 

 
April had a bunch of kid-friendly activities planned for all the kids one of which was making these spooky Halloween houses out of graham crackers and candy.  As soon as we returned home, the kids dived right into them!


Eden's spooky house consisted of frosting and graham crackers only.  April said she would eat the candy before it even touched her house!
Love my family!

2 comments:

emily a. said...

That does look and sound so amazing. I miss New England and am so glad you got to enjoy it at it's prime. That's a nice exchange to do for eachother. And 10 years? Congrats... you old folks!

Oh and Sierra, you are looking fantastic!

Shilowe said...

What a fun weekend getaway! And such good timing! I miss the fall colors on the East Coast! I'm so glad you got to enjoy it and share those beautiful pictures with us! Your kids are growing so fast! Eden is so darling! I'm glad you all had such a fun time! :)